Featured Post

Introduction... (The first blog post in 2011)...

I am a frum, gay & married male who feels compelled to share. Let me get this out of the way, when I say I am gay ,  I will qualify it...

Sunday, March 28, 2021

Giving credit where it’s due

On the 1 year anniversary of the WHO calling Covid 19 a pandemic I received my second Moderna vaccine. When I received it I felt an obvious sigh of relief but also a sense of accomplishment. I made it. I made it through the year maintaining my sobriety. Not a single drop of alcohol or any other substance to help me through it. (Almost 3 years now). It was by far the hardest work year I have had. The most anxiety ridden year. Sickness and death of family and friends. But I felt it all. I was present. 

When I went to the Dr this morning, I had to answer the question, “Have you been out of the State in the last 2 weeks?״. I had to laugh. I haven’t been out of The state in 13 months. 

530,000 people have died in the US of Covid. 
Yes. There are 525,600 minutes in a year. One death a minute. 
I watched the last year go by with people going to political rally’s with thousands, and not wearing masks or social distancing. 
I’ve seen weddings with hundreds doing the same. I’ve seen funerals (of people who died of Covid ironically) with hundreds of people attending with barely any masks. People were vacationing like nothing was going on. Holiday weekends. All of these turned out to be major superspreaders. 

None of us in “real” life would ever consider ourselves guilty of manslaughter and certainly not murder, but those who believe in an afterlife may agree with me that there will be clarity one day when we stand in the true reality. The most ‘pious’ of us have murdered. The most ‘righteous’ may have massacred. Many have done this in the name of a higher purpose. I am comfortable and confident in saying that no God wanted his servants to spread Covid and hurt and kill others. 

I stand tall and proud in knowing that while I wasn’t perfect, I worked really hard to keep myself and push my family to be as safe and careful as possible. We all made it through without having gotten the disease.  

I am on a flight now heading out to Fort Lauderdale. I will be with my family for the week and I couldn’t be more excited. 

I’m proud of myself. I earned this time away after an excruciating year. 
I’m excited to use it in the best way possible. For connection. For love and for family. What else do we have if not connection? 

Please stay healthy and safe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment